The Payroll Specialist is a key member of the Accounting & Finance team that will help ensure timely, accurate processing, recording and reporting of the semi-monthly multi-state payroll for 1050 employees as well as our monthly payroll for 300 Partners using Workday Payroll.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist with the processing of the semi-monthly Employee payroll and monthly Partner payroll:
* Ensure that all transactions affecting payroll have been processed and paid correctly.
* Set up and validate involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments.
* Set up and validate voluntary deductions such as parking, charity and health club.
* Review and validate payroll results prior to Completion and Settlement of Payroll.
* Perform pre and post payroll processing audits.
* Perform reconciliations as necessary on payroll accounts.
* Maintain all payroll records including employee payroll files.
* Maintain a strong understanding of Federal, State and Local Tax regulations.
Perform daily payroll department operations such as:
* Process employee transactions as they occur, including but not limited to: new hires, terminations and tax elections.
* Respond to Payroll Help emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
* Assist in researching payroll issues.
* Process on demand, manual checks and special payments as necessary.
* Respond to outside agencies regarding employment inquiries and verifications.
* Review employee tax withholding set up throughout the year.
* Serve as back-up to other team members during absences and peak periods.
* Assist in the Year End process including W-2's.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Experience with full-cycle, multi-state payroll.
* Working knowledge of payroll best practices and federal/state regulations.
* Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word); knowledge of Access a plus.
* Experience with Workday HCM and Payroll preferred.
* Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with all levels of personnel.
* Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of payroll and other information at all times.
* Ability to work independently, prioritize work and manage deadlines.
* Excellent organization and prioritization skills with a strong focus and attention to detail.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
* BA or BS from an accredited college or university and five years of experience processing full cycle multi-state payroll preferred; or any combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform duties of the position. CPP and Workday experience preferred but not required.